posted on January 2, 2014 at 4:04 pm
grant n me in NYC 1991

grant n me in NYC 1991

as i work my way thru the making of this video

i wonder what you will make of it all

just like i wonder what i make of everything on a daily basis

grant n I met up we instantly hit it off like a house on fire

we hung out a real real lot

taking drugs and playing guitar

grant always with a cig and a glass of wine on hand

on hot disconsolate nights we wandered thru the wilderness of

a 3 story huge old house where my studio was

a house full of junky doctors and dealers and even a dominatrix

a house full of musicians and engineers and singers and other idiots

them long hot darlinghurst nights (well surry hills but very close!)

91 albion street go see it its still there

the house that stephen cummings wrote about twice

the den of iniquity that shocked poor old mae moore

the house where we did half of margots 1st record

grant and i guitars strapped on

strumming and bitching and laughing and drinking

we go outside where we sit on the steps

i accost passers-by demanding that they recognise grant

who sits there half embarrassed and giggling at my antics

he puffs his cig in that side-woods way

and always has the best fucking quip

we went to the states together

arista wanted a little promo tour

our record had lots of instruments but we are reduced to an acoustic duo

surprisingly our voices and guitars meld almost seamlessly we become each other

grant and i loved goading each other on you can see that all here

we were under the others influence a bit

we are funny tho

some of it makes me laugh still

grants know it all smirk is worth twenny bucks alone

i left it real

i could have cleaned it up a bit

but i wanted you to see the frosties in situ unaltered or censored

theres a spiteful dark side to us

now i wonder why that it was that way?

why were we so restless and blabbing on all the time?

what wasnt there to enjoy ?

we were playing some gigs and doing some interviews

and staying in the best hotels around

theres plenty of admirers in all shapes n sizes

and we had a little bit of money too …at least i did then

but theres an anxiety a sadness at the heart of some of it

i love watching grant

i love his wandering eye that makes him look like jesus on the cross

although not handsome as such there is a strange compulsion attached to him

he was as if from some other time and place

me….fuck …i dunno…i look good but i’m a different guy now

i been thru a lot since then

so this

apart from 2 albums is all there is

this was all that i could squeeze onto the download and it was quite a job

(some raw footage remains of the frosties in australia..it may see light of day eventually)

so if you wondered how it felt to be in Jack frost in 1991 this’ll set you straight

i am still too close to it

still under grants spell when i watch him at work on this film

if you like you can

download it here

please use my comments section to leave reviews of video too

if you want

63 Responses to “further and last thoughts on Jack Frost”

1. avatar
    Chris | 2 January 2014 at 4:23 pm #

….watching the vid…what a poignant and evocative gem of an insight into you guys back then…superbly intimate portraits…thanks for making this available Steve….pure diamond OZ Rock history!

2. avatar
    Kohl Ette | 2 January 2014 at 7:10 pm #

Yes was also thinking today what a great piece of history it is. The restless babbling anxiety and sadness (just a touch)? I was guessing it may be a bit of pressure for the performer of being conscious of being watched and not fully relaxed or themselves or perhaps some sense of (impending) mortality or perhaps difficulties in personal relationships behind the scenes? … anyway it is like Grant says, living, breathing…

3. avatar
    Kohl Ette | 2 January 2014 at 7:47 pm #

Yes – how could I not?

4. avatar
    A Luddite speaks... | 3 January 2014 at 1:32 am #

Can’t download fook – no computer access except at work.

5. avatar
    Anonymous | 3 January 2014 at 4:37 pm #

its the most beautiful and moving thing I have seen for a long long time!! total enjoyment that will surely continue… thank you for putting it together… ^stars will always shine^ :-) provi has a whole new depth for me and who doesnt love a man in a suit xx

6. avatar
    Steven Krut | 4 January 2014 at 9:39 am #

I liked it, especially the music. I wasn’t really following along back then. I was a Church fan, but a much more casual one than I am now. Didn’t get into the solo exploits of Church members. So its sort of a history lesson for me. You and Grant had a great camraderie. Knowing its fate as you described it (and also Grant’s fate) makes it a little sad to view. Must be pretty wistful for you. I’m very impressed by how stylish you were back then. Tastefully stylish. Knowing as well what lies ahead for you gives the film a slight forboding quality – sort of like watching footage of the roaring ’20s, circa 1929. It’s great that this document of that time and of you and Grant exists. I’m glad I got to watch it.

7. avatar
    pwebb | 4 January 2014 at 10:05 am #

Great stuff. It made me want to get out my recordings from that tour and give them another listen. I always loved the rapport the two of you had on stage, and it was nice to see extended behind the scenes. The “Providence” studio performance about half way through is one of the best versions I have heard of that song.
    I was hoping for some footage of the Washington DC show with the monitors cutting in and out – it would have been fun to see your classic reaction on screen…..

8. avatar
    Anonymous | 4 January 2014 at 11:02 am #

As I make my way thru this mess
    I wonder what I am 2 do with it all
    What would they say if I shared my xperience on the night of Grant’s death
    And all the odd moments before then
    Or do they already know as they ….

9. avatar
    danny | 4 January 2014 at 5:24 pm #

There are wolves in the shadows.
    There is faded light between pines.
    There are reflections by the barn.
    This is brown time.
    The lake another year older.
    The night comes like a
    Train yard in Oklahoma.
    Blackbirds in downward circles.
    The metallic clang of a flagpole.
    The first few rays.
    Then the wolves again.

10. avatar
    Anonymous | 4 January 2014 at 8:20 pm #

I saw you and Grant play the Metro in Sydney around ’96. Lots of clever quips between songs about Turkish prisons, Patti Smith and art galleries in New York between songs. One of my favourite gigs.

11. avatar
    Kohl Ette | 4 January 2014 at 10:51 pm #

‘the blinding blue sky/unobserved by the suits…’ sk

12. avatar
    Michel | 6 January 2014 at 10:57 am #

A Jack Frost Tour video review :

Man, how happy I was the day I found this cd in a second hand store…
    Jack Frost’s first album was not even an expensive import in my poor stupid country
    Fortunately, I always look at the inside cover
    when there is no clear indication of who made the record
    recognized the two guys and took the cd home with me for a lifetime
    I had no idea they were knowing each other
    Their union was a very good surprise
    Do you wake up in the morning
    with the chorus
    or the piano notes
    of “Geneva 4 AM” in your head ?
    I do frequently
    This is how I identify an important/essential record
    It acts like a clock inside your brain
    Gives you the sensation of living
    Grant McLennan says that about Jack Frost LP in this film
    1991
    The only US tour of the duo
    Steve has a shining Starfish/Gold Afternoon Fix aura
    Grant faces a Watershed after 16 Lovers Lane
    Lots of acoustic live tracks in the film
    “Providence” wins by four appearances
    “Number Eleven” is beautifully balanced by their voices
    “Thought That I Was Over You”, “Every Hour God Sends”,
    “Didn’t Know Where It Was”, “Everything Takes Forever”,
    “Ramble”, “Civil War Lament” they are here too
    Along with a Go-Betweens’ song “The Wrong Road”
    Of course you will see Steve alone playing “Under The Milky Way”
    Of course you will see Grant alone playing “Right Here”
    Even Steve humming “Streets Of Your Town”
    Grant wants to play “Under The Milky Way”
    He tells Steve so but he doesn’t insist
    He would have been proud to sing it with him
    Life is unfair
    Only Steve can sing Grant’s songs now
    He did the whole “Streets Of Your Town” in Rockwiz 2008
    Wonderful tribute
    So sad I will never hear Grant’s “Under The Milky Way”
    This film is interesting anyway
    Buy it if you love Steve and Grant
    Jack Frost is great
    Yes, it gives you the sensation of living
    Yes, I know you can keep me warm
    Can’t wait to wake up again with their voices in my head !

thetimebeing | 6 January 2014 at 1:00 pm #

oh michel a fantastic review thank you
      i will reprint it elsewhere!

Michel | 7 January 2014 at 6:36 pm #

Sorry for for the mistake (it’s “Didn’t Know Where I Was”).
        Glad you like it, tried to write it in a Steve’s “blog style”.
        Not sure it is good, australian fans will probably do better.
        Woke up the morning after with “Ice In Heaven” followed by “Don’t You Cry For Me No More” in my head.
        Grant may have sent me a message…
        Or does it mean I have to listen to Grant’s White Album Horsebreaker Star again ? I do right now. Another essential album !

Anonymous | 8 January 2014 at 11:24 am #

Nice read. Wil hav 2 lock in2 getting copy when more financial.
      As I sat down for morning prayers this morning 4 it is one of the more direct ways I know how to overcome and to seek answer to the prayers of my heart. My hymn book section title this morn was ‘His goodness in Providence’ and a verse from one of the hymns go ‘judge not the Lord by feeble sense/but trust Him for His grace/ behind a frowning Providence/He hides a smiling face’.
      I was one of the last to enter the cathedral at Grant’s funeral and accepted the long stem white rose that was handed to me as I entered.

thetimebeing | 8 January 2014 at 8:19 pm #

thats very auspicious

Anonymous | 8 January 2014 at 9:00 pm #

Now u know I hav 2 go look the meaning of that word up in a dictionary. Ice in heaven lyrics very poignant 4 me 2day.

Anonymous | 12 January 2014 at 8:07 pm #

Fancy that – as sitting here watching movie about some guy Riff, and attempting to clean up wot God calls ‘my organised clutter’, song on movie band performing is ‘send me an angel’ by ‘Real Life’ and as I force a book into my already full and over cluttered bookshelf, I see a few loose items of paper collective and low and behold it’s the little jack frost booklet with steve’s signature over the old lady’s head. I always question those images chosen, the one on the front and the one on the back. Even bigger is the story to tell of what I endured to purchase this cd – who would have thought.

13. avatar
    Rob | 6 January 2014 at 10:01 pm #

Loved your work on JF. Your band – The Church – is a genius band. Please don’t let it be just YOUR band. It’s everyone’s band to love and enjoy. You are a big part of it; I understand that. That will NOT be forgotten. You guys deserve to be big – the biggest. But it wasn’t meant to be. We love you who you are.

14. avatar
    List-boy Trainspotter | 6 January 2014 at 10:55 pm #

Dude, I’ve got the 1st lp signed by you and Grant from some Sydney record store promo. Gold marker pen really sucks though!

15. avatar
    danny | 7 January 2014 at 2:13 am #

Was there ever an official US release of Starfish era live concert? Original Lp sonically speaking has some shortcomings…I assume to early digital recording (thin and flat sounding)…is there a superior remaster out there?

thetimebeing | 7 January 2014 at 7:17 am #

nope

Anonymous | 9 January 2014 at 11:43 pm #

Mate, the New York ’88 radio broadcast has been out there for decades, who needs an official live lp?

16. avatar
    Kohl Ette | 7 January 2014 at 7:37 am #

Wow! Clovelley afterglow. Thanks to you and brilliant band. Sorry it was a short gig but it was sweet. Back to ‘reality’.

thetimebeing | 7 January 2014 at 3:22 pm #

it was too sweet not toute suite

Kohl Ette | 7 January 2014 at 3:37 pm #

Tu tru

17. avatar
    Anonymous | 8 January 2014 at 1:19 am #

Steve, why did Grant do the encores by himself at the 9.30 Club in Washington on that ’91 US tour?

thetimebeing | 8 January 2014 at 9:21 am #

because i was pissed off with the monitors?

18. avatar
    danny | 8 January 2014 at 6:51 am #

So how big of a wanker was Astbury back in the day? Reports are he was nicknamed “Assbury”?

thetimebeing | 8 January 2014 at 9:20 am #

i would hazard a guess hes always been a wanker

Anonymous | 8 January 2014 at 3:00 pm #

once at one of his concerts – there was a young boy with his parents… the kid knew all of the words/sang along to his then new album; [we] were up front at tables to the right of stage/Filmore… everyone started packing in as is common so the kid perched as much possible, but a woman with one of those high updos physically shoved the kid back to stand directly in front of him… his mother (seemed nice) had a few beers in her though – previously had been very pleasant; and/though now – rightfully asked the woman obstructing view to move so her son could see – we were in an area that was blocked off/nobody was to be standing there without special tics; anyway: the bubble woman started an altercation, which the mom with liquor in her I believe had intentions only to protect her son but a physical fight was started anyway by the rude bubble-head (she tried to slap the mom – but I grabbed her arm before she made contact) I’d been talking w/the stage staff earlier and luckily one of them noticed my look towards him as this was going down… and immediately got it without confusion; motioned to Mr. Astbury, who quickly observed what was going down and nodded affirmatively, and then the boy was without big mussing gently pulled from where he stood, and escorted back stage – where he was met by Atsbury and the others – quickly security also came to escort bubble-head loud mouth out of the venue… kid came out all smiles about 15 mins. later (the band took a break for him) with stuff and all given to him; his dad and mom/everyone was happy and that quickness/justness of a very watchful security team along with the band’s/Atsbury’s reaction had kept this cool little dude from having to witness his mom other than the happy woman she seemed was a good feeling to witness. then the band continued with Mr. Atsbury smiling over at the young guy. I almost cried. Seemed like a nice man – age mellows?

thetimebeing | 8 January 2014 at 8:18 pm #

there you go

Anonymous | 9 January 2014 at 12:29 am #

I saw the Cult in 1985 and after Astbury pulled one too many preposterous cock-rock moves where he thought he looked like Morrison but was more like Coverdale, someone shouted “Put it away, it smells!” Even Duffy pissed himself laughing.

continued | 9 January 2014 at 7:25 am #

cuz earlier – 80s on Haight – there he was… everyone fawning him as he walked down the street; I was sitting outside of DoubleRainbow having a capp while my son was eating his ice-cream… always thought he looked a cross btwn Jim Morr and David Johannsbg; though didn’t know it was him when he approached us… he went way out of his way to proposition me (?) to the point of vulgar in front of my just older than a toddler; seemed drunk/high/or whatever but still, my kid was sitting there. barely ever do I – but thought how totally classles – even if I’d been w/out my child, he went way over the line, but in front of… told him off royally; he looked so shocked; almost apologetic but didn’t say a word, just walked away. some guy working in the ice cream store came out and asked me if I knew who it was that I just slammed… nope (until he told me). that is why almost started crying at above… the kid thing… protect and honor. know he has his own children, sure he is a wonderful father.

19. avatar
    Kohl Ette | 8 January 2014 at 11:52 am #

Hoping to be able to see DY gig. Just deciding whether to go with others or alone. I notice on the seating plan theres a table for one up the front. I dont really go for that :) Last time i went there i saw The Wilderness Years but sat on my own up the back which was quite mellow. I know i spent lots on a Cult tkt once. Never seen them before. Prob never again. Unlike the Church/related. Yep i should ring Lizottes and see if they will let me hang up the back x. That Clovelly gig still lingers in mind. So special! :) !

Anonymous | 9 January 2014 at 11:44 pm #

Go alone. Alone is better. Always.

20. avatar
    danny | 9 January 2014 at 3:24 am #

Just curious what Steve and others feel about the Remote Luxury(US LP) era of the Church? Obviously “Shadow Cabinet” came out of it…and so did “Maybe Some BOys” did as well!…haha…although an atypical Church tune…I kind of dig it

21. avatar
    Kohl Ette | 9 January 2014 at 11:06 am #

Gosh i thought i had scene weird in the gold mine

thetimebeing | 9 January 2014 at 2:40 pm #

fools gold i’m afraid

Kohl Ette | 9 January 2014 at 3:45 pm #

i spose i shouldn’t continue on other (branches of) rock references then

22. avatar
    Roger N | 9 January 2014 at 11:09 am #

hey – not JF related but things of the past nonetheless… Ive rediscovered MATS this week. I remember not getting it first time around and storing it away for safe keeping – but with the passing of time, and with me looking for ‘new’ old things to listen to, it has suddenly clicked into place…and its fucking brilliant!

23. avatar
    captain mission | 9 January 2014 at 8:42 pm #

i watched half the jf video film and came away feeling quite emotional, a really intimate experience, loved the low production, it felt authentic and real. i liked the camera work to, it was really good and suited the whole energy of the road trip, the editing was random but it felt right on the beat.
    it was funny, clever and slightly sad and has a whole lot of humanity in it, just like grant said, living.
    i’m fascinated by your sci fi monologue, it felt familiar, like i’d come across it before.
    thats my fave bit so far, its delivery is thespian, great film man. love it.

24. avatar
    Anonymous | 9 January 2014 at 11:51 pm #

Chaps, Steve’s just given us a 3-hour Jack Frost movie, d’ya think we can have more comments about that and a bit less twaddle about Astbury and ancient Church albums?
    You guys no likey 3 free hours of Jack Frost genius or what?
    Can’t find owt to say about it?
    Really?
    I love JF and I appreciate the fuck out of SK’s gesture in giving this to us! Killa, I thanking you!

25. avatar
    Anonymous | 10 January 2014 at 7:52 am #

maybe it will be on youtube one day. hope.

26. avatar
    thetimebeing | 10 January 2014 at 8:47 am #

i disagree.
    i have written tons of poetry and philosophical stuff in the last year

sometimesuthink | 10 January 2014 at 9:45 am #

(almost forgot my name there)… and I will look forward with wide-eyes and joy to every blog entry that is. cuz it’s really good when it is.

27. avatar
    verdelay | 10 January 2014 at 8:58 am #

Oh, Steve, I don’t know…

I just don’t know if I can watch it.

Sometimes you just have to hold on tight, you know? Not so much because you think you’re going to lose your grip, but because you need to staunch the wound, keep it all in. If I let go I’m worried about what might come flooding out.

1991. I keep that year locked away, hung around my neck so I never have to look at it.

I’m being deliberately nebulous. I don’t want to be young again.

v

thetimebeing | 10 January 2014 at 11:01 am #

ok

This World Hell | 10 January 2014 at 8:17 pm #

Me neither. If I was a cat, this would’ve been the worst of my 9 lives. At least it will be over soon. After that, no more, please. Come oblivion, come.

thetimebeing | 11 January 2014 at 9:41 am #

dude, i saw a guy walking along with a deformed and wretched child yesterday that reduced me to tears
        whatever your misery is , it aint nothing compared to those 2
        get over yerself and
        ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE!!

Anonymous | 11 January 2014 at 11:12 am #

Yes this world can be hell. But why aim for oblivion when eternal life offering more pleasurable and just ways of life is a more beautiful target to seek. The problem is we have been trying to make this world our home for far too long instead of aiming and seeking for what is promised. In this world one will always be fighting the unjust and oppressive. Itis the way it will be. Dont take my word and first hand experience for it – go and read Book of Revelaions, The Holy Bible with understanding. I personally am only experiencing that which it said would happen. May you always find the true light and releif from that which this world assails us with. Come Lord Jesus Come and take us home.

28. avatar
    Kohl Ette | 10 January 2014 at 9:07 am #

nassty astpersions upon aspursiums! p.s. I didn’t go into much detail with the JF vid because for me that’s something quite ineffable. Would rather leave it at that. The proof is in the watching.

29. avatar
    Jmb066 | 10 January 2014 at 9:18 pm #

I could not disagree more, name another artist that shares their own personal point of view on their projects? I love when Steve discusses his point of view and promotes projects here at TTB. This is the best artist/fan website I have ever seen or been a part of. I also love the poetry, prose and statements. I also enjoy when a project is released the feedback from the rest of community such as this release made by Steve as a direct homage to a friend and musical partner. I will also do some promotion or advertising of The Uncollected book which you can purchase with hundreds of poems ans stories many from the vaults of this site. So when we are discussing a new album, DVD, or tour show you can open the book and get your fix.

Steve please don’t ever change this forum, I enjoy reading and discussing your world that you share unconditionally with us everyday.

So now please promote that new Church album and US tour. Really looking forward to your memoirs as well.

Jason

thetimebeing | 11 January 2014 at 9:39 am #

thanks for the heads up
      sometimes the line blurs admittedly between advertising and “talking about” things
      yes i wanna make some money (its my job, after all)
      but i also need people to watch and listen to the things i do because…
      well its just how it is
      i promise to keep the 2 things in balance
      a big hello to all my readers . i love you all. well, most of you, anyway

sometimesuthink | 11 January 2014 at 11:58 pm #

though I think you misunderstood my intent (said “sad,” not “bad”), at least a bit of passion in that response of yours; good. but go back… read from a few years ago… his entries and the responses – if they’re still up (unsure but I remember dot and davem and laura and donna and yes, i miss broken toys and heros and so many others from penn/previous from Cocomo and on and on and Eekie and lots more – I’m sure they all still read, but there were shouts and applauds and disagreements and, well, life – given back to a genius and it was fun). …we’d sing and dance for ever and a day. those were the days my friend. hope it’s not all days of yesterday. that just gets old.

peace.