posted on December 21, 2006 at 9:20 pm

*probably not
the number of comments is way down
(tho nice to have the queen back…i was wurried bout ya!)
is this the xmas slump?
people im a jealous god n i need those comments…
otherwise am i just talking into the void…?
hello….is there anybody out there?
i love my regular people
you know who y’all are
rest-a-rant marko, anthony cee
richard mc healthy n good wife
little eeky, who is very naughty
decking the halls etc
verdy-lai
well-aska
jai-me
bonnie bon
dutchman
the wilde one from nz who is no carpet
cagey ole pagey
the manne with the mission
johnny “gee” garrotted
bri-anne smiff (a troo beleevah!)
groo-pee the chrissy
ry cst a shoulder of fortune discoverer of civilizations
baal…..how is mrs baal…?
d + t in syddley
sir gareth of knotts
who while being one of the handsomest knights
is, unfortunatly
one of my most hot-blooded men
having slain 3 or 4 perfectly innocent dragons….
andy pandy n the neptunic druids oh you guys wroc my main man
stealthywealthynwiseguys…mercy bow coo
poochie weild your axe
alt-rez in the frozen north
savant in the capital
all the rest of ya
christ do you think i can remember anything
my brain does hurt like a where house
i am cramming so many things in there
a loada new songs for space night
my lines from my play which is proceding spiffingly
having rehearsed inna fronta some of technicals last night
who said yes yes good work
me a pipe smokin’ tweed wearin’ “straight”
i say
now look here my dear fellow
i been watching this guy all our lives
i can do him if i want to
and i wanna nail all his twitchy nervousness
his outraged dignity
and his naive dopeyness
oh yes
i can talk in a posh accent too
my mums telephone voice
and the major
and the queen
and david coverdale
hang on a minute…..
david coverdale?
from whitesnake?
david coverdale from whitesnake
possessor of one of the most hoity-toity accents ever
can you imagine him giving the other guys in his band
the pre-show motivational schpiel…?
“alright chaps….seems like words come down
and about jolly time, if you ask me
and it seems perfectly beastly
if we dont give these fellows
a ruddy good show and give them what for…
and jenkins on the bass there…?
“”sir!”
i dont tolerate passengers on this ship, jenkins
you knew you were here to rock
and by jove
rock you shall!”
anyway
now ive way-laid myself again
ive set traps before i reached bombay
and i was gonna say
right at the start
just after the title
how about some new comments from some new commenters?
cmon….
whatcha made of?
are ya a smart-arse?
a fawning sinkofant?
a practicle man….
a busy house or mid wife…
a student at the school of hard knox?
perhaps youre a nasty lurker with nary an intension to subskrybe
or a generous dough-nater
it doesnt matter
nows the time to comment
eg
a sample comment
“er….ive never commented before so here goes
um….well..that was it!
b murgatroid
de.”
thats it really
something pithy
something meaningful
something to change the world
just life in one sentence…its not hard
comment on the whether
you can criticize me too
eg
hippy dribble
stoned waffle of a charisma-less drongo
twilight ravings of doomed beatnik
slandoulous lies of a bitter lemon
gossipy tripe n bad poetry r us
naive ego-sentric olde tosser
in tedious self-congratulatory “free” prose
reads like the bastard offspring of yogi bear
n michael mooorcock
see?
you can say lovely kind things too
oh stevie youre so young
i wish i was pushing fifty three
and ive dyed all these white bits into my beard
just like you
signed
mrs c darwin
or
oh timeless being
ive followed you since day one
yes, i was there the day the cherch first rehearsed
outside the door
and i made a bootleg
and would you mind if i burned a few
and sold em..
just to friends n others
just a few thousand till i get me money back?
or even
killer i adore thee io io ao

anything will do
JUST DO SOMETHING
now
dont even wait till youve finished reading
comment now
hit that comment button hard!
send me a message
use it!
weve bought a hifi ipod for ourself for xmas
it cost 500 bux but it sounds amazin’
nk got it up the bloody junction
nice work nk!
listnin to harold buddy n billy nelson
oh so much detail in yonder sound
its about the size of a shoe-box
ipod sits on top
i tell ya olde t-being very happy with this device
anyway
im gonna split
its a overcaste day
n a little cool
of course im gonna hit the poole now
and doo my chi gong
mmm breathe deep that prana, childe
walk around
pay some bills
a man sent me a cheque
mr snow, youre not so colde…
i will banque it today
if it has not rubberised
someone sent me a twenny dollar bill in the post
well thank you everyone likes moneymail!
but beware
ive sent people money like that before too
and it usually disappears
theres some little bastard down the p.o.
with a fucking money detecting machine..
of course
i thank profusely my pay-trens
n my sub-skrypers
oh thank ye
the soy turkey is being plucked
ah the wee beeings will eat
and baby bum-pah says thank you folks
10 % of all money received will be donated to
the bumperfund
to pay for crushed pastels in carpet
drawing on the wall
weeing on the floor
dropping food everywhere
gates, locks, kiddy-proofing etc etc
broken sunglasses, schmeared cds n dvds
things dropped out windows
and for rubbing your chocolatey face on my washed black
alex grey t shirt!
goodbye
for to-day
s k

to “is this the blogge that youve been waiting for? *”

1. avatar
    indigoruby | 22 December 2006 at 10:43 am #

Does repeating my comment from a couple of days ago count?

To the Twillies:

I have identical twin sisters who are two years younger than me. Our mother used to dress them in identical clothes but one always in pink or red and the other in green, blue or yellow. One time when we were kids I got them to swap their clothes – and matching glasses – around and our father didn’t notice, maybe partly because they were pretty quiet anyway. I don’t know if you’d get past your father’s radar if you two played tricks pretending to be each other, but it could be fun!

As you said, Minna, you have someone who always knows what you are thinking, just with one look, and my sisters are the same.
    The trouble is that other people notice the similarity in looks as well as the affinity you mentioned, and then often assume a whole lot of other similarities as well. That can then make them treat you like two parts of a whole instead of separate people; that is just what my sisters complain of too. That’s what probably makes you fight against the connection between you in some ways to try to establish your own identities.

It would be interesting to hear some of the ways you two think you are like each other – and your father – and the ways you think you are not. You could take over the blog!!

Emma

2. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 11:05 am #

100 scenes @ 9:14
    its 4:15 on the compooter skreen,
    I just cant sleeeep
    and my skulls ooozed in green
    and…
    ******* scene*********

and here I am jus thinking you got it all goin on
    surrounded by your twidoodlebumps and such
    Rehearsing your lines and Jammin w/ the MWPster
    tennis w/ Shiva….
    Well, keep swingin and work that prana
    thee blogge is becoming an e den of sublimation…
    Karmic hits..
    blessings be..

Om Tat Sat Om

jaime r………….

3. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 11:27 am #

Here the requested one-line comment:
    SK comes from Australia and he’s very beautiful I come from Bremen and I’m quite plain.

4. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 11:47 am #

Seasons Greetings,

Wishing you nk, twillies, doodles & baby b a very happy and safe Christmas.

Tis a season to be jolly, (who wrote that!) talk about stressed out. Still pressies to wrap, tinsel to re-hang that’s fallen down, shopping to do etc etc

Good to read Twillies thoughts,
    made me laugh when E replies re sk as a dad
    “Nothing special really”, thought if q to fiends was What is sk like as an artiste, don’t think the answer would be that.

Not long now till Mr Claus arrives,
    don’t forget
    He knows if you’ve been good or bad….

Bah Humbug,
    luv t

5. avatar
    eek | 22 December 2006 at 12:01 pm #

oooh cool! I just got called very naughty by TB himself. I guess I better comment since I got such a nifty mention! 🙂 Usually, being the perverse type, I’m damned determined NOT to comment when anyone says “why aren’t you commenting?” But you’re special, so I’m commenting. Plus you’re mighty adorable when you whine. 🙂

I’ll be thinking about you during the veggie spacecake gig — ok, I’ll be pouting cause I don’t get to be there. But I hope it goes well and I want to read all about it. And I’d love to see the play too. Sure hope some of your more local readers are able to see it and report back. Love to read your comments on it too, of course.

As always, best wishes to you and your family.

6. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 12:03 pm #

Please continue the blogge Steve.

Många hilsner från Kokky!

7. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 12:11 pm #

I’m normally a shy one,but just because you pleaded for any words SK I thought I could share our news with you here.Our baby boy born 11Dec in Mel-borne.We left the hospital on 13Dec and almost went via your soundcheck at the Northcote!Well I really wanted to but knew I couldn’t 🙁
    Would have been a great night too.Come and visit us when you play in Melbourne with the Pretenders,we are 10 mins down the road from the winery.
    Love KT and CV
    PS Couldn’t decide on the spelling Steven or Stephen or Stefen so we are naming him something completely different…yet to be announced….

8. avatar
    Al Renwick | 22 December 2006 at 12:27 pm #

oi nevets i passed thru Welwyn Garden City this morning and they’ve erected a huge ice statue of you in the park…fuck drank too much Talisker again my great aunt died and we found a bottle dated 1876 nectar of the gods i kid ye not

merry

9. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 12:41 pm #

Okey dokey…

Happy now?

Ya broke the 100+ comments barrier….all ya had to do was ASK.

I’m here. Can’t give you any neat, tidy or polite reasons why, but I’m here. I expect it’s as much of a mystery to you as it is to me.

Why are we all HERE?

Anyhoo, I’m coming to the Basement tomorrow. I have never seen you play live before. I thought it was time.

I ain’t gonna approach you cause I know you don’t like it…..you can just find me if you want to!

Hope Santa is good to you all out there.

Au Revoir,

B.Bon

10. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 2:05 pm #

Do you miss being with the Cockney Rebel?

11. avatar
    nickfiction | 22 December 2006 at 2:06 pm #

Happy holidays to you guys ! It’s cold and scary here in cleveland. I remember, just 5 months ago we were mugging for pictures in the parking lot of the ” beachland ballroom ” in the sun. poor sk was battling drunken hecklers all nite! but such is cleveland! many church fans dream and wait an eternity to see the church live. And then some drunken bozo yells throughout the entore gig. But sk’s jokes were quick and witty. I shot a great video of it too!

12. avatar
    biggle boggle | 22 December 2006 at 2:25 pm #

Jeez, Kilbster, I’ve been listening to you since 1988 too. I like Moorcock, Hawkwind and Popol Vuh. Where’s my shout out? I’m neglected.

Feliz Navidad and all that. Come play in Canada some time. If Sellersburg is good enough for you, so is Toronto!

13. avatar
    mr. london | 22 December 2006 at 2:34 pm #

OK, I’m leaving my comment for you, the Great and Wise Mystic of the Ages, though I’m having a hard time coming up with any witty, Ham on Rye lines.

-C

14. avatar
    davem | 22 December 2006 at 3:02 pm #

Hiho SK.
    No work for a week. Hip hip.
    Looking forward to the next installment of TTB.
    Loving ya more,

Dave M
    xx

15. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 3:33 pm #

Dead Snares. Care to elaborate?

16. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 4:16 pm #

happy now?

17. avatar
    John Garratt | 22 December 2006 at 4:25 pm #

Looks like I won’t even need to leave a comment.

Oops, already did.

John

18. avatar
    Noel Christian | 22 December 2006 at 4:30 pm #

‘i dont tolerate passengers on this ship, jenkins
    you knew you were here to rock
    and by jove
    rock you shall!’

I nearly spewed espresso on the monitor.

19. avatar
    Anthony | 22 December 2006 at 4:31 pm #

Wow! That brought everyone out to play, huh?

Steve, I can totally relate to the crushed pastels, weeing on the floor, etc. etc. Seems the house is always a wreck these days. So the other night I’m giving baby basher a bath (he’s still in the sink) and I turn my head for a second and I see a stream of wee with a perfect arc flying out of the sink and to the floor. I knew I had officially hit full Dad-dome when I just nonchalantly put my hand in front of the stream to keep it from going everywhere. Btw, he’s started babbling non-stop… da da da da da da da da da da da da da, then rasberry noise. Repeat. He’s just too damn cute.

My lovely wife Olivia gave me a shiny new iPod for our anniversary. We have a dock for hers in the kitchen, but it was one of the cheaper ones. Fine for the kitchen but would like to get a better one for the den. Which one did you and NK get?

Love to ya,
    Anthony

20. avatar
    Jen | 22 December 2006 at 4:36 pm #

ask and you shall receive. and like a lemming i fall in line with the rest. but how can we deny you when you made such a pleading request? i suppose when the master requests the subjects comply…and don’t deny you are the master of words. I am continuously amazed at the language of the time being. then i listen to some of your music, that i’ve heard ahundred times before, and hear something brand fucking new! how do you do that?

been meaning to ask/tell for awhile now but abit shy. since you asked tho…
    my first love/boyfriend/husband (aren’t i lucky!)danced our first dance as husband and wife to glowworm(beautiful song). so as long as people are throwing out requests i’ll throw mine atcha. can you tell us about love?

21. avatar
    12str | 22 December 2006 at 4:40 pm #

dear st kilbey!
    im in a rather shitty situation…i live in two places at once….and the old computer is in the place i spend less time…i try to read this blessed blogge everyday though…you always get me in a good mood…i would like to be in that group of commenters you mentioned, but i sometimes feel my english leaves a lot to wish for….
    anyway..
    a merry merry xmas to you and your family..
    and all my best wishes for the year to come…

hohoho
    st patrik

22. avatar
    Samosanx | 22 December 2006 at 5:07 pm #

why is it that i remember david coverdale from white snake, for no other reason than the rythym of his name? oh, and perhaps a washed out pastel 12″ cover?

23. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 5:46 pm #

SK you’re always the voice of reason amongst the chaos

Love always
    Melbourne Mary

24. avatar
    abel tasker | 22 December 2006 at 6:02 pm #

Comment: I have always wanted a bluegray falcon.

Story: …so you keep buying albums by a band that meant a lot to you when you were a teenager, even though the intensity of the initial period has been replaced by a more critical love-hate relationship. You do this because you respect them and want to support them and enjoy seeing what they’re up to, even if it isn’t always your cup o’ tea — you’ve grown apart. But you also do it because you secretly hope that a song, or even part of a song, will move you in the same way that songs like ‘disappear’ once did. Then you hear ‘Louisiana’ for the first time and fall right back in love.

I never totally left, it was all a big misunderstanding. The nineties were hard on both of us…

25. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 6:15 pm #

good scribblings as always SK. yours is my fav and only blog i read.

still stuck under a texas moon,
    marco

26. avatar
    Valentine | 22 December 2006 at 6:16 pm #

Gray, rainy Deetroit afternoon. Bare trees scratching at the fog…I’m sleepy and work is slooooooooow. I don’t wanna be here. Your blogge gives me back my grin. A little sustenance till I can escape again.

xoxoxox

27. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 6:24 pm #

Okay, lurk mode off. I’ll throw a curveball here. Talk about yer contradictions! I’m a Christian, fairly conservative (tho I don’t like Bush), but I’m against the ‘war on drugs’ as it now stands here in the u.s. I’ll be 40 soon. I live just north of Seattle, WA. I’m a bass player for an as-yet unknown band, about to record a cd. I love s.k. and the church, and have since the late 80’s. I enjoy reading yer blawg quite a bit & will probably say so via paypal.

cheers!
    ch

28. avatar
    John Garratt | 22 December 2006 at 6:44 pm #

SK,

Some time ago, you have me a homework assignment. I submitted it before. But I will submit it again so we can get more comments tallied on this sucker:

Mr. Being, here is my assignment. You said it was due on the 22nd, I hope I made the deadline and that it is satisfactory.

Pragmatism and the Time Being, while on the surface appear to be polar opposites, can actually coexist in certain contexts. And it certainly does not have to be always practical all the time. Often, it is succinctness that cuts through above all else. Having spent three years writing for a college newspaper, I slowly learned the virtues, and eventual vices, of speaking succinctly in print. My main point is, appropriately enough, find the shortest route to your point when leaving a comment for Mr. Being.

As we have already learned, Mr. Being likes to peruse through our comments and even manages to chuckle at one of them (out of an average of anywhere from 30 to 100…wait, that’s not an average!). From this, we conclude that Mr. Being is genuinely getting something out of our comment(s). An effective way to make said appropriate comment is to truly take something away from Mr. Being’s diary. Sitting on the sidelines and admiring the whole picture is all well and good, but to truly get something out of the diary, make sure you connect with one little aspect of it. It can be the most mundane, throwaway remark that Mr. Being will give you, but hang on to it. If you communicate to Mr. Being that you can relate to this one little tiny aspect in his life, it establishes a link that has more in common with a friendship than it does with mere fan-to-celebrity admiration.

I recently read in a magazine that it’s okay to joke about aging around a friend or loved one who is gloomy about turning old on their birthday. The reason? Being light-hearted never fails to amuse. Even in a dark situation, it’s plain to see that joke is someone’s attempt to reach out to you, to ease what is wrong. Never underestimate the power of a succinctly-stated and well-timed off-hand remark to lift one’s spirits. Is there a formula or a science to it? I don’t know. Maybe Woody Allen knows.

Remember, pragmatism doesn’t always have to practical, useful, whatever. It’s more like laying the pipeline for communication between you and Mr. Being. And of course, giving him free CDs does not hurt the pragmatic process with Mr. Being.

John

29. avatar
    Jason | 22 December 2006 at 6:56 pm #

Happy holidays SK, and thank you for another year of lovely spacerock (as well as the Karmic Hit podcast –more, please!– and the Drinks w/ Tony interview). Always refreshing to hear a fearless opinion. Cheers, js

30. avatar
    fantasticandy | 22 December 2006 at 7:06 pm #

‘mercator projection’ eh?—-ooh i like that! really wish i was jammin’wid you guys,let me know the setlist won’t you. steve,thanks very,very much for taking time out to listen to the cd,the boys will be so delighted when i show them todays blog. i’ve always adored your music,in a world of shallow manufactured pap,you and the guys continue to plough your own wonderfully rich and intelligent furrow with no regard for fad or convention whatsoever.once again,thanks for your indulgence and kind encouraging words! IT MAY BE SEVERAL DAYS BEFORE MY FEET MAKE CONTACT WITH TERRA-FIRMA AGAIN. bless you guvnor,i doff me cap to thee,all the very best,andypandy.

31. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 7:13 pm #

me comment is as follows, me am still waiting like me fool that me am just for you esskay…
    mjnjr

32. avatar
    Centuryhouse | 22 December 2006 at 7:14 pm #

Aw man, I didn’t get mentioned as one of your internet faves…

Not even a mention after a paypal payment, I thought I could at least buy my way in… 🙁

j/k

Enjoying ye ole blogge as usual!

Daniel W.

33. avatar
    stealthblue | 22 December 2006 at 7:27 pm #

Oh, Stevie K.,
    This comment is just for your reading pleasure…to know that I truly love and care for ya. You (and a few others too) made me want to be a ROK STARR and play my little blue Strato-Gitarr, and my beat up trusty old song writing machine Yamamahaha Akoostik, and sing (caterwaul) my wee little big heart out, hoping for a big lucky break witha mega huge recording Kontrakt with Arista, or Electra…from way back in the day when I first “met” ya in a mysterious metaphysical space called “the spirit world.” I think I was roughly 14, and had eyes the size of flying saucers, regarding the whole “make it big” thing. Well, fortunately, I have come a long way since then and know a bit more about the realities of life, love and the universe, including the moozik bitnuss. Then later on, I actually got to meet and shake the hand of the one and only Sir Kilbo of New South Wales and it was like a dream come true, but also a realisation that this is not no ordinary brick-laying, pipe-puffing bloke, this is the real deal.. and I am fucking honoured to “know” him, even in this limited virtual capacity with all of our imperfections and internal mysteries. I thought…”WOW, this dude is like me, or I should say, I am kind of like him.” It gave me hope and inspiration to feel connected and know that rockers and rollers are just very real people with intense spirits.

Anyway, SK, I am glad to be involved somehow. I have learned a bunch from you and the Choich, and a bunch of other hard-rockin’ guitar-slingin’ musicos. What I really learned from the music world is that it is done only for the love of music, all the other stuff is secondary I suppose. There are only a few people I would definitely love to sit in with, or actually write a tune with, and YOU are one of those “chaps.” For now, I mess about in my little home studio and roll my own, I do my shitty (but not that bad) J-O-B, I hang out with my sweet babe and a few other rascally pals. But please don’t be surprised (or offended!!) if a package containing some of those heart-felt, true-storied, love-laboured songs shows up in your mailbox one day, hopefully sooner than later. When I get it done, I would love for you to give a listen…(yeah, me and everyone else…I know) but truly, I would be honoured if ya even just opened the cd jacket, and then threw it in with all the other heaps of records and such that you have. So, that’s that, friend. I hope you are doing well. Same goes for all of you out there is the land of The Time Being. I love this blogge and most of the peeps that frequent the comments section. Thanks for all you do.

As Chrimbo approaches, I just want to wish you and your family the very, absolute best. Peace and love to all of you Kilbeys, the rest of the Choich, and the TTB family…
    Hasta,
    Ben V

34. avatar
    jeanz | 22 December 2006 at 7:31 pm #

Xmas Eve
    I’ll be djing
    and wearing
    the crunch tits tee
    in your honour, sir

all the best

jean zee

35. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 8:24 pm #

see, you ask for comments and you get them – we are truly all your bitches – pip

36. avatar
    Aperus | 22 December 2006 at 8:32 pm #

What The Hell? Straight White Male, 39, Wants Steve’s Attention

I’ve written before numerous times. But alas, I’m probably not up to your IQ standards. I told you about Oophoi, I told you about Alio Die. I shared some poetry by Rumi. I shared my love for AENT. That didn’t get your attention.

Ok, here’s a critical rant… ULTC isn’t my fave Church disk!!! Ya know why? It’s not because of the production – which is awesome by the way. It’s not because it ain’t creative and full of clever words – it is. It’s because the two chord thing is used a bit too much from song to song (with a few exceptions). “Block” is existential angst at its best. “Day 5” is comparible to your best sublime moments. I just wish there wasn’t so much of the two chord, two step. How about mixing it up a little on the next one?

Ok, I deserve it – tear my head off and feed it to me for Christmas!

37. avatar
    Anonymous | 22 December 2006 at 8:33 pm #

I’ll have the usual, please, barkeep.

Cee
    xox

Merry Cringle!

38. avatar
    Chump | 22 December 2006 at 8:45 pm #

THis reminds me of the last time you had a call to action to your sub-skypers. You wore your finger to the bone typing responses to all the asinine questions from your fans (mine not included) for 4 straight days. Now, I think you will wear out your reading glasses (you do have some right?) reading all these comments.

39. avatar
    verdelay | 22 December 2006 at 10:29 pm #

Herr K.

I still get the impression that you don’t really understand who we are yet.

No matter. Plenty of time.

Perhaps we’re only an odd collection of zephyrs…

…but we comprise a little coterie nonetheless. And one that knows your name.

Or thinks it does.

By the way, in that dream all you need to do is shake your leg and your foot will be released. A word to the wise, nothing more. Could come in handy, you never know.

Well, you know where to find me…

v

My love to isolde, St. Pucci, fandorin and the other glamorous helions…

40. avatar
    restaurant mark | 23 December 2006 at 12:13 am #

i’m here baby…i’m just normally on down the list. the blog comes out at night here and i tend to read and post the next morning with my coffee and bowl. love the david coverdale stuff by the way…hilarious! steve have you heard silversun pickups? great new band…they rock out, but pretty and floaty too. this time of year always makes me want to hear the cocteau twins…broke out victoria land this morning…ambient bliss. oh yeah, bright black morning light is a cool, bluesy, ambient kind of thingy too…newer band…great stuff! anyway…take care anti claus.
    mark

41. avatar
    captainmission | 23 December 2006 at 3:32 am #

Heres a few oblique stratagies eno came up with, its a great idea although i don’t think you ever get stuck for an idea or a creative block, your cup seems to run full, er eth. anyway enjoy…

Abandon normal instruments

Accept advice

Accretion

A line has two sides

Allow an easement (an easement is the abandonment of a stricture)

Are there sections? Consider transitions

Don’t be frightened of cliches

Don’t be frightened to display your talents

Don’t break the silence

Don’t stress one thing more than another

Do something boring

Do the washing up

Do the words need changing?

Do we need holes?

Emphasize differences

Emphasize repetitions

Emphasize the flaws

Faced with a choice, do both (given by Dieter Rot)

Feedback recordings into an acoustic situation

Fill every beat with something

Get your neck massaged

Ghost echoes

Give the game away

Give way to your worst impulse

Go slowly all the way round the outside

Honor thy error as a hidden intention

How would you have done it?

Humanize something free of error

Imagine the music as a moving chain or caterpillar

Imagine the music as a set of disconnected events

Infinitesimal gradations

Intentions -credibility of -nobility of -humility of

Into the impossible

Is it finished?

Is there something missing?

Is the tuning appropriate?

Just carry on

Left channel, right channel, centre channel

Listen in total darkness, or in a very large room, very quietly

Listen to the quiet voice

Look at a very small object, look at its centre

Look at the order in which you do things

Look closely at the most embarrassing details and amplify them

Lowest common denominator check -single beat -single note -single riff

Make a blank valuable by putting it in an exquisite frame

Make an exhaustive list of everything you might do and do the last thing on the list

Make a sudden, destructive unpredictable action; incorporate

Mechanicalize something idiosyncratic

Mute and continue

Only one element of each kind

(Organic) machinery

Overtly resist change

Put in earplugs

Remember .those quiet evenings

Remove ambiguities and convert to specifics

Remove specifics and convert to ambiguities

Repetition is a form of change

Reverse

Short circuit (example; a man eating peas with the idea that they will improve his virility shovels them straight into his lap)

Shut the door and listen from outside

Simple subtraction

Spectrum analysis

Take a break

Take away the elements in order of apparent non-importance

Tape your mouth (given by Ritva Saarikko)

The inconsistency principle

The tape is now the music

Think of the radio

Tidy up

Trust in the you of now

Turn it upside down

Twist the spine

Use an old idea

Use an unacceptable color

Use fewer notes

Use filters

Use `unqualified’ people

Water

What are you really thinking about just now? Incorporate

What is the reality of the situation?

What mistakes did you make last time?

What would your closest friend do?

What wouldn’t you do?

Work at a different speed

You are an engineer

You can only make one dot at a time

You don’t have to be ashamed of using your own ideas

[blank white card]

Abandon normal instruments

Accept advice

Accretion

A line has two sides

Allow an easement (an easement is the abandonment of a stricture)

Always first steps

Always give yourself credit for having more than personality (given by Arto Lindsay)

Are there sections? Consider transitions

Ask people to work against their better judgement

Ask your body

Assemble some of the instruments in a group and treat the group

A very small object -Its centre

Balance the consistency principle with the inconsistency principle

Distorting time

Do nothing for as long as possible

Don’t be afraid of things because they’re easy to do

Don’t be frightened of cliches

Don’t be frightened to display your talents

Don’t break the silence

Don’t stress *on* thing more than another (sic)

Do something boring

Do the washing up

Do the words need changing?

Do we need holes?

Emphasize differences

Emphasize repetitions

Emphasize the flaws

Faced with a choice, do both (given by Dieter Rot)

Feed the recording back out of the medium

Fill every beat with something

Get your neck massaged

Ghost echoes

Give the game away

Give way to your worst impulse

Go outside. Shut the door.

Go slowly all the way round the outside

Honor thy error as a hidden intention

How would you have done it?

Humanize something free of error

Idiot glee (?)

Imagine the piece as a set of disconnected events

Infinitesimal gradations

Intentions -credibility of -nobility of -humility of

In total darkness, or in a very large room, very quietly

Into the impossible

Is it finished?

Is the tuning intonation correct?

Is there something missing?

It is quite possible (after all)

Just carry on

Put in earplugs

Question the heroic approach

Remember those quiet evenings

Remove ambiguities and convert to specifics

Remove specifics and convert to ambiguities

Repetition is a form of change

Revaluation (a warm feeling)

Reverse

Simple subtraction

Simply a matter of work

Spectrum analysis

State the problem in words as simply as possible

Take a break

Take away the elements in order of apparent non-importance

Tape your mouth (given by Ritva Saarikko)

The inconsistency principle

Use an unacceptable color

Use fewer notes

Use filters

Use `unqualified’ people

Water

What are the sections sections of? Imagine a caterpillar moving

What are you really thinking about just now?

What is the reality of the situation?

What mistakes did you make last time?

What would your closest friend do?

What wouldn’t you do?

What would your closest friend do?

Work at a different speed

You are an engineer

You can only make one dot at a time

You don’t have to be ashamed of using your own ideas

[blank white card]

Abandon normal instruments

Accept advice

Accretion

A line has two sides

Allow an easement (an easement is the abandonment of a stricture)

Always first steps

Are there sections? Consider transitions

Ask people to work against their better judgement

Ask your body

Assemble some of the elements in a group and treat the group

Balance the consistency principle with the inconsistency principle

Be dirty

Be extravagant

Be less critical more often

Breathe more deeply

Don’t be afraid of things because they’re easy to do

Don’t be frightened of cliches

Don’t be frightened to display your talents

Don’t break the silence

Don’t stress one thing more than another

Do something boring

Do the words need changing?

Do we need holes?

Emphasize differences

Emphasize repetitions

Emphasize the flaws

Fill every beat with something

From nothing to more than nothing

Ghost echoes

Give the game away

Give way to your worst impulse

Go outside. Shut the door.

Go slowly all the way round the outside

Go to an extreme, move back to a more comfortable place

Honor thy error as a hidden intention

How would you have done it?

Humanize something free of error

Idiot glee (?)

Imagine the piece as a set of disconnected events

Infinitesimal gradations

Intentions -nobility of -humility of -credibility of

In total darkness, or in a very large room, very quietly

Into the impossible

Is it finished?

Is the intonation correct?

Is there something missing?

It is quite possible (after all)

Just carry on

Listen to the quiet voice

Look at the order in which you do things

Look closely at the most embarrassing details and amplify them

Lost in useless territory

Lowest common denominator

Make a blank valuable by putting it in an exquisite frame

Make a sudden, destructive unpredictable action; incorporate

Mechanicalize something idiosyncratic

Mute and continue

Not building a wall but making a brick

Once the search is in progress, something will be found

Only a part, not the whole

Only one element of each kind

(Organic) machinery

Overtly resist change

Question the heroic approach

Remember .those quiet evenings

Remove ambiguities and convert to specifics

Remove specifics and convert to ambiguities

Repetition is a form of change

Retrace your steps

Revaluation (a warm feeling)

Reverse

Simple subtraction

Simply a matter of work

State the problem in words as clearly as possible

Take a break

Use an unacceptable color

Use fewer notes

Use filters

Use `unqualified’ people

Water

What are the sections sections of? Imagine a caterpillar moving

What are you really thinking about just now?

What is the reality of the situation?

What mistakes did you make last time?

What wouldn’t you do?

What would your closest friend do?

Work at a different speed

Would anybody want it?

You are an engineer

You can only make one dot at a time

You don’t have to be ashamed of using your own ideas

[blank white card]

Note: This file contains only the English texts found on the fourth edition Oblique Strategies deck, which is multilingual. Click here for more information on the fourth edition.

Abandon desire

Abandon normal instructions

Accept advice

Adding on

A line has two sides

Always the first steps

Ask people to work against their better judgement

Ask your body

Be dirty

Be extravagant

Be less critical

Breathe more deeply

Bridges -build -burn

Change ambiguities to specifics

Change nothing and continue consistently

Change specifics to ambiguities

Consider transitions

Courage!

Cut a vital connection

Decorate, decorate

Destroy nothing; Destroy the most important thing

Discard an axiom

Disciplined self-indulgence

Discover your formulas and abandon them

Display your talent

Distort time

Do nothing for as long as possible

Don’t avoid what is easy

Don’t break the silence

Don’t stress one thing more than another

Do something boring

Do something sudden, destructive and unpredictable

Do the last thing first

Do the words need changing?

Emphasize differences

Emphasize the flaws

Faced with a choice, do both (from Dieter Rot)

Find a safe part and use it as an anchor

Give the game away

Give way to your worst impulse

Go outside. Shut the door.

Go outside. Shut the door.

Go to an extreme, come part way back

How would someone else do it?

How would you have done it?

In total darkness, or in a very large room, very quietly

Is it finished?

Is something missing?

Is the style right?

It is simply a matter or work

Just carry on

Listen to the quiet voice

Look at the order in which you do things

Magnify the most difficult details

Make it more sensual

Make what’s perfect more human

Move towards the unimportant

Not building a wall; making a brick

Once the search has begun, something will be found

Only a part, not the whole

Only one element of each kind

Openly resist change

Pae White’s non-blank graphic metacard

Question the heroic

Remember quiet evenings

Remove a restriction

Repetition is a form of change

Retrace your steps

Reverse

Simple Subtraction

Slow preparation, fast execution

State the problem as clearly as possible

Take a break

Take away the important parts

The inconsistency principle

The most easily forgotten thing is the most important

Think – inside the work -outside the work

Tidy up

Try faking it (from Stewart Brand)

Turn it upside down

Use an old idea

Use cliches

Use filters

Use something nearby as a model

Use `unqualified’ people

Use your own ideas

Voice your suspicions

Water

What context would look right?

What is the simplest solution?

What mistakes did you make last time?

What to increase? What to reduce? What to maintain?

What were you really thinking about just now?

What wouldn’t you do?

What would your closest friend do?

When is it for?

Where is the edge?

Which parts can be grouped?

Work at a different speed

Would anyone want it?

Your mistake was a hidden intention

Steal a solution.

Describe the landscape in which this belongs.

What else is this like?

List the qualities it has. List those you’d like.

Instead of changing the thing, change the world around it.

What would make this really successful?

Who would make this really successful?

How would you explain this to your parents?

Try faking it.

What were the branch points in the evolution of this entity

Back up a few steps. What else could you have done?
    When is it for? Who is it for?

What do you do? Now, what do you do best?

First work alone, then work in unusual pairs.

What most recently impressed you? How is it similar? What can you learn from it? What could you take from it?

Take away as much mystery as possible. What is left?

Use an unacceptable color.

Remove ambiguities and convert to specifics.

Fill every beat with something.

Don’t stress one thing more than another.

Ask people to work against their better judgment.

Call your mother and ask her what to do.

Humanize something that is free of error.

Breathe more deeply

Do nothing for as long as possible

Use “unqualified” people.

Make a blank valuable by putting it in an excquisite frame

Faced with a choice, do both

Use fewer notes

Get your neck massaged

Remove specifics; convert to ambiguities

Remove the middle, extend the edges

Imagine the music as a series of disconnected events

Take away the elements in order of apparent non-importance

Discover the recipes you are using and abandon them

Disconnect from desire

Mechanize something idiosyncratic

Do something boring

Accept advice

Pay attention to distractions

Look closely at the most embarrassing details and amplify.

42. avatar
    Anonymous | 23 December 2006 at 5:18 am #

Hey Steve, there are people reading. Just found this a little while ago, and it’s becoming a daily routine to stop in and see what you’ve written. Thanks very much! Was front and centre for the Melbourne gig, by the way, and it was fabulous.

Jack Canuck

43. avatar
    Anonymous | 26 December 2006 at 11:25 am #

Hi there. This is the last info by theme.
    Good luck!

44. avatar
    razor edalb | 30 December 2006 at 3:08 am #

Sorry for the late entry here, but I was busy preparing for a road trip to Orlando to visit my step-daughter (who btw, saw you guys there in August).

Anyhow, part of the preparation for the trip was to get the fossil fuel eater cleaned up. While I was waiting for the folks to shampoo the upholstery in the car (how bourgeois of me), I was looking around the waiting room. Besides auto accessories, they sold a hole line of cards for every occasion (i.e.; sorry to hear your dog is in traction), and some buttons.

One of the buttons reminded me of you immediately. It read “I didn’t fight and scratch my way to the top of the food chain to eat tofu.”

I enjoy the blog, but I rarely have anything to say that others haven’t already said, so I keep my fingers off the keyboard.